Friday was my last day of work and I'll admit that I was counting down the days. At times I really loved my job and other times I dreaded going. Most of the time it was stressful. The women and children I worked with were very needy and it took a lot out of me emotionally and mentally. Despite all of that, I gained much more out of the experience than I had ever thought I would-both professionally and personally. At first it was just a job for me to earn extra money doing something that I could do, but it turned into much more than that. Their program was in bad shape and I helped to make it a family-centered and positive environment. I had some amazing experiences and I really grew to love the families. On Friday, the moms and children put together a little surprise party for me. They decorated the room and made some adorable cupcakes and a cake. They told me some of the things they had learned from me and how their lives will be better. I really fought back the tears--mostly because I get really embarrassed when I cry in front of other people. When I saw how much they loved me and how much they were going to miss me, it made me feel guilty for ever wanting to give up on them. So a little piece of me will be at Austin Recovery and with the moms and children of Family House.
Sunday was yet another reminder of us leaving. Lots of people at church have taken their time to chat with us about our move and express their happiness for our new opportunity. When I first moved here, the Cedar Park Ward became like a family to me. When I look back at the person I was 10 years ago, I realize how much I have grown and changed for the better. I have had many wonderful examples of what is really means to be Christ-like. Cedar Park grew into my home and a piece of me will stay here too.
It's also knowing that it will probably be a long before we can get another picture like this:
These last few weeks we have tried to see some of our old friends, visit some fun places, and get in some of our favorite Austin restaurants. Due to time and monetary limitations, there's no way we can get to do everything. But for memory's sake, I'll list some of my faves:
Chez Zee-our first date
Amy's Ice Cream
Congress Bridge and the bats
Gourdoughs donuts
Round Rock donuts
Homeslice Pizza
Fliphappy Crepes
Boating on Lake Austin or Lake Travis
Oasis-bad food but great views
Juan in a Million and my favorite breakfast burrito, the Don Juan
Chuys, particularly their jalapeno ranch dip
Town Lake
Zilker Park
Rudy's BBQ-at least we can order their sauce and have it shipped to us
Dart Bowl
Hairy Man Trail-yes that is the actual name of the street
University of Texas
Schlitterbahn
Floating down the Guadalupe River
Chinatown
Roys Hawaiin Fusion-the best crab cakes
Trulucks-the best chocolate cake
Gold Class Cinemas-now called Ipic
The Children's Museum
360 Bridge
6th Street
Book People
Whole Foods-the one downtown
Hey Cupcake
Leslie-our favorite homeless man; okay, not an activity, but I still remember the first time I saw him!
And the list goes on. Some of our greatest memories are here and Austin will forever be in our hearts. We would love to move back here one day, but I know that that might not be in our plan. So on to new memories, new experiences, and new adventures!
Our delicious crepe breakfast!
In Austin, good things come out of trailers.
Our first apartment when we were married; Oak Meadow Circle in Southwest Austin
Town Lake and Congress Bridge

Lake Austin and the 360 Bridge

Cade, Reece, and I on top of the UT tower

Engagement pictures-this one obviously didn't make the cut!

Jack Johnson concert at the Backyard (pre-engagement)

Ryan. This is how he looked the first time we met, but wearing a suit instead of orange.

Me and my dad.
2 comments:
Oh I can only imagine! What a fun adventure to move to Florida and at the same time so sad to close one end of your chapter in life. I am so excited for the day when we move from our house (moving up), but I will be so sad to leave everyone and all the memories here. But that's just life, eh? :) I'm glad you blog though so you can still keep in touch with everyone. :)
Awe, poor jefra! you truely have become a texas girl! Atleast Ryan's family is still there so you will always have a reason to come back. I am glad it's been a good decade to you. On to the next adventure! You will all be great!
Post a Comment