Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Audiologist

Cannon had his second appointment with the audiologist this morning.  Actually it was with two of them.  Six months ago when he had his first evaluation, she said that he had some hearing loss in his right ear.  We talked about how things have been for the past six months.  I feel like he hears pretty well except for when we are at the library or when there are other distractions around and then I know that he can't hear me when I call his name (he's not just ignoring me).  Maybe it's just a distraction thing and not a hearing thing, which would be a different problem.  :)  She was still a little concerned that his speech hasn't improved over this time even though I have been working with him.

We did the same test today as we did six months ago.  He sat in my lap while we were in a small room.  She would play different sounds and he would turn his head toward the sound if he could hear it.  The other audiologist was in there too to help.  He did great with that part, but he did not like them looking in his ears.  He was really upset about it.  The appointment was a lot faster than the last time, only about 20 minutes.  She said that both his ear drums vibrate normally and that he is able to hear within normal limits using both of his ears.  She said that this particular test only tells how he hears using both his ears.  She wants us to come back again one year from now and they will test how each ear hears.  He'll have to wear headphones for this one. Since he is so sensitive about having his ears touched she suggested a few months before we come in to let him listen to things with earphones and headphones on so he gets more used to wearing them.   

I'm happy with the results in the fact that he doesn't have anything major, but I feel like we're still in a grey area because I don't have answers to things. But I guess it's not a big deal and it's not a serious problem for him.  He hears well enough to function and that's the important thing. 


1 comment:

Kristina said...

glad he hears well. that would be a whole other mess i think. I think it is weird that your doc thinks he has speech problems because i understand everything when he talks but i guess he isn't babbling when he talks to me. love you guys SO MUCH! was just telling a friend that i didn't realize how much i gleaned from you on motherhood and parenting and now i miss it SO MUCH!!!