Friday, November 20, 2009

7 months old, almost

Technically he won't be 7 months until tomorrow, but what's one day? I love that he is doing all these new things! He is interested in everything around him and has to have it. This includes my hair and Ryan's glasses! He's been pulling my hair for a while now, but now he does it on purpose.
He is still a great eater and likes to try new foods. Sweets are still his favorite (peaches, mango, bananas, etc), but he eats most anything. Oh, he LOVES soy yogurt! I think he has a sensitivity to milk products. I usually mix in a little soy formula with his cereal and every now and then he has a soy formula bottle. I used to give him regular formula, but I noticed he would spit up ALL the time. It went away when I switched. I tried regular whole milk yogurt with him and he did the same thing. Ryan even gave him a teeny tiny taste of tapioca pudding (made with whole milk) and he spit up all the next day. And it's not the usual spit up, it's the kind that smells like vomit. I might try regular yogurt again when he's 9 months old, but hopefully he will be okay to drink regular whole milk when he turns one. But anyway, he eats 2 small solid food meals per day, sometime three. I have introduced him to new grains other than rice cereal and he seems to enjoy them too. I have enjoyed making his own baby food and cereal and it's not as hard or time consuming as I thought it would be and it definitely saves us a lot of money. We do keep some jar food on hand for when we will be out of the house. I have been following the book Super Baby Food and I love it. She is, at times, a bit overzealous, but I take what I need from the book. This is one of my favorite baby stages and I love introducing new foods to Cannon.
He is still going 12 hours at night, with one wake-up to eat at around 4 or 5am. I have temporarily given up trying to break him of that feeding. There was one week where he went 11-12 hours without eating at all, but then he went back. But what I noticed was that it messed up my milk supply. During the day he wants to eat/nurse every 4 hours instead of 3. Without that early morning feeding he would only be nursing 4 times a day and I don't think that is enough for him. So I will just wait a couple more months until he is eating more solids.
He is still toothless, but they are on their way. He has been "teething" for quite a while now, so we're just waiting for them to pop through any time. Generally he is his usual self, but every so often he will be in pain for a couple of days and then it will go away. The pain is always relieved with baby Orajel or Motrin.
His likes are pretty much still the same, Blue, Ryan's singing, exersaucer, jumperoo, reading, etc. But he has a new fear of the blender and vacuum. He will be okay for a short period of time if I hold him while I vacuum, but the blender freaks him out! I have to put him in another room and close the door if I need to blend something. He is also afraid of the Wicked Witch of the West, as you will see in the video.

He can grab the Cheerios, but he can't quite get them in his mouth yet!

And don't think I'm a mean mom, Ryan! Now that it's on video I promise I will never do it again!

I think he is starting to wave. He did it to Ryan when he left for work this morning and he does it to the "baby" in the mirror. I've been testing this all day to see if it is real or not. It's hard to see on the video, but he copies me when I wave to the mirror. He is also starting to reach for people. This is still an emerging skill, but it's going to happen for sure this month. He did it to Ryan this morning and then when I went to take him, he turned away from me! He did this another time when his Uncle Robert was holding him and he turned away from me when I went to take him.


New trick, pulling the cloth off his face!


That's pretty much it! Oh, he has been making new letter sounds. In addition to vowels, w's, k's, g's and h's he says, "bah, bah, bah, bah," and "buf, buf." He is no where near crawling or doing the army crawl. He is content to hang out where he is or else he will just roll to get to where he wants to go. I will try to put him in the crawling position, but it is nearly impossible! He either stiffens his whole body so that his legs won't bend or if you do get his legs bent, he won't hold his chest up and he does a face plant into the floor. Oh well!

5 comments:

Shirley said...

Cannon is such a cutie! I love this age too! It seems like they learn something new everyday!

When you said that Cannon was already waving, I was like "Ryan, what's wrong with you? A 7 month old is beating you!" lol then I tried to see if he would wave and he did. I am sure he is just copying, but it's closer that it was an hour ago! lol.

Kristina said...

You are so mean! Even though I knew it was coming, Cannon's reaction to your witch was SOOOO sad! How can you do that to him?!?! I'm glad you have it on video though. :-)

Tiffany said...

I love the Wicked Witch is so funny, I mean sad. He is adorable!

The Bradley's said...

What a meanie! I couldn't stop laughing, plus I was shocked because you didn't even do it that scary and his pour sad face was too much! He's so cute! I love the new videos!

Sarah Leonard said...

Poor baby with a mean mommy! :) Just kidding! I'll admit, I laughed! Such an adorable baby! Miss you.