Friday, November 27, 2009

Getaway

Ryan and I went on our first overnight trip without Cannon. We had actually planned it before he was born, but for a while I was iffy on whether or not I was going to go. Early last spring Ryan bought tickets to see the Tennessee Titans play against the Houston Texans in Houston. The Titans are Ryan's favorite NFL team right now because he loves Vince Young, as do I. We loved watching him play as UT's QB and we have been following him since he was drafted into the NFL. They are finally starting him and he has won every game since then. Ryan had bought 4 tickets at a really good price and then sold 2 of them for more than double what he had paid.
Anyway, I decided that I would go with Ryan since Cannon has been pretty good lately about taking a bottle. I have never left him more than a few hours, so this was going to be a big step for me! The plan was that Ryan's parents were going to watch him on Monday and that night and then a friend from church would watch him on Tuesday because Ryan's mom had to work. So we dropped him off at 11am on Monday and then we headed to Houston. I didn't want to be a psycho mom and call every hour, although that's what I wanted to do. I waited until we checked into our hotel before I called. Cannon had had a good nap and enjoyed going to the mall with his grandparents and 2 cousins.
The game was awesome! We had amazing seats, the 13th row at the 50 yard line! And best of all, VY sat right in front of us the whole time (except when he was playing)! The game was close the whole night, but we were able to get the win. It was weird cheering for the opposing team, but it was still fun. There were a few other Tennessee fans amongst the Texans fans so it wasn't so bad.
The next day we slept in and then went and did a session at the Houston Temple. On our way back to Austin we stopped in Bryan/College Station to see our brother-in-law at his new job at the Miramont Country Club. This place was spectacular and decorated with the finest materials you have ever seen! Just to give you an idea, the owner really wanted a particular kind of Italian marble. The wait list was a few years, but he wanted it immediately. So he bought this company in Italy and made himself first on the list! After Rick gave us a tour, we ate lunch/dinner together and then headed home. I was so excited to see Cannon that I could hardly stand it!
When I saw Cannon for the first time, he smiled and reached out for me! This was the first time he has ever reached for me, so it was really cute. Then he saw Ryan and lit up like a Christmas tree. Then he looked around at everyone else and smiled at them too. So Cannon was a champ and they said he was happy the whole time. He never took a bottle for Ryan's parents (what a stinker!), but he took the bottle fine for my friend. They have 5 kids, so he was entertained the whole time. I felt bad that he wouldn't take the bottle, but it was nice to hear that he was still happy.


Ryan also really likes Chris Johnson, so I got a picture of him too. I forgot to get a picture of Michael Griffin, who also used to play for UT.












This was taken right after the game. It's kind of a bad picture of us because we were tired and my hair was disgusting because it was humid.

4 comments:

tck4texas said...

Great when couples take trips. My parents have been taking trips together for 30 years and it keeps getting more and more exciting.

Love the long distance pics of Vince. Great timing for him to be doing well so you could see him in action!

Kimmie said...

oh you are brave!! Good for you! I am glad you guys got out and had fun. I think I'd been a mess going over night without my baby...however, getting a full night of sleep must have been nice. :)

Heather Guymon said...

Ah yes good ole' Houston humidity. I use to march in full band attire in that crap...in the dead of summer. Crazy! I give you MAJOR props for leaving Cannon already over night. The ONLY night away from Hannah I have ever had was when I had Connor and I was in labor and worried about her the entire time. I was so excited to see her the next day when Shane brought her back to the hospital to see Connor for the first time. Being a mom is so hard because you want to be YOU and have time away but then you get the time away and you just think and worry about them the entire time haha.

The Bradley's said...

Jeff and I had actually watched that game on tv not knowing you guys were there! It sounds like you had a lot of fun!