Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas

I have to say that Christmas is SO much more fun when you have a kid! Ryan and I were so excited for Cannon. I actually wouldn't have cared if I didn't get anything, because it was so fun getting things for Cannon. He was into it too. We sat him on the floor and put all the presents around him and let him open them. He enjoyed tearing the paper from the first couple of gifts, but then he lost interest. Blue was excited to play in all the wrapping paper. We got a few things for her to open too. I got Ryan a soft serve ice cream maker. He loves soft serve, so he was pretty excited. Ryan got me an Electrolux cordless vacuum. It's nice because it's small and lightweight so it's perfect for doing a quick vacuum in the kitchen or entry way. I prefer to vacuum the kitchen rather than sweeping it.

After we finished up at home, we headed over to see my dad and my sister. My dad was super excited for Cannon to open his presents! We all got our stockings and took turns opening our gifts. Usually we go one at a time, but we let Cannon do all his first so he could take a nap. He got lots of toys and clothes from my dad and my sister, but the big gift was the bike! My dad got Cannon a tricycle, but it has sides and straps so that older infants can go in it too. And it has a handle on the back so you can push him. Then when his feet reach the pedals, you can take off the safety sides and handle so he can do it himself. My dad put it together and we took Cannon for a little walk. It was cute because he immediately held onto the handle bars, but then he just chilled.

We stayed at my dad's for awhile and then we went to Ryan's parent's house. It's nice that we all live about 5 minutes from each other, it's makes it so easy. Ryan got a new suit and I got a deep freezer. We waited for Rob and Bev and the kids to get there so we could open the presents together. And we had Kylene and Jeff on skype so they could be part of the fun. It took a really long time to open all the presents, but it was fun to see what everyone got. Overall, Cannon got lots of outfits, pajamas, and toys!

We had a great Christmas! I can't wait until next year when Cannon is older!


I think his favorite thing was the string on the present.






Blue opening her bone.


Blue going to hide her bone.


My dad and Cannon.


Cannon's new train set.


Cannon opening his tricycle.


He loved riding on his bike!


On a side note, I was contemplating the real reason we celebrate Christmas. I'm not usually one to be sentimental on my blog, but I thought I would share this. I teach the five-year-olds at church and a couple weeks ago we sang the song He Sent His Son. I learned this song when I was a kid, but this time the words really hit me and I began to appreciate the beauty of this simple message. It's probably because I have a baby now and my understanding of things are deeper. Here are the words to the song and if you want to listen to it, click HERE.

How could the Father tell the world of love and tenderness?
He sent his Son, a newborn babe, with peace and holiness.

How could the Father show the world the pathway we should go?
He sent his Son to walk with men on earth that we may know.

How could the Father tell the world of sacrifice, of death?
He sent his Son to die for us and rise with living breath.

What does the Father ask of us?
What do the scriptures say?
Have faith, have hope, live like his Son,
Help others on their way.

What does he ask?
Live like his Son.

4 comments:

Shirley said...

Sounds a lot like our Christmas! Cannon is so cute in that first picture. I think his smile is contagious, it's so cute! It's so easy to get carried away and forget the real meaning of Christmas. Hopefully, having kids will help with this too. :)

Kristina said...

Cannon looks so stinkin' cute. I am sorry I wasn't able to be there for all the fun even though it was great to be with Rick's family too. Can't wait to see Cannon on his new Trike!

Nicole said...

I was just going through some blogs and came across yours. Our baby's are about the same age!! How fun! Happy New Year!

Kimmie said...

Perfect song to remember the season. Thanks for sharing. Cannon is TOO CUTE!!! You are right, it is so much funner being a parent at christmas time.