Saturday, March 19, 2011

Brilliant Idea..NOT!

So my not so brilliant idea was to put Cannon in a toddler bed. He's been acting up during bedtimes and nap time, so I thought why not make it worse! Actually, I've been thinking about it for awhile. Ryan and I decided that this would be the weekend. Our original idea was to convert his crib to a toddler bed, because I thought it would be an easier transition. The guard rail is in our storage unit, but Ryan couldn't find it. However, we could find the toddler bed that belonged to Rob and Bev's kids. They had two and they gave one to me and one to Kristina. I could tell that we got Jade's because it had a couple of pink stickers on it. We also thought that we would just put Cannon's crib in the guest room so that Lyla or Ally could use when they are here. Of course when we were getting the bed from the storage unit, we found the guard rail to the crib. But since I had already moved the crib to the guest room, we decided to stick with plan B. We got it all cleaned up and put together and ready for Cannon. We had talked about the new bed and he jumped on it and played on it. When it came time for nap, he wouldn't have anything to do with it. I ended up rocking him to sleep, which was a rare treat for me, and then placing him in his bed. He only slept 1 hour and 15 minutes, but I wasn't too bothered by it. So then tonight we tried to get him pumped about his new bed. I recorded him jumping and playing on his bed (he loves watching videos of himself, so I thought it would help). But when it came down to it, he refused to go in his bed! I laid down with him for awhile and let him cry for a few minutes. Ryan gave up some of his March Madness to go be with him right now.

Just for my own sanity, here are the reasons why I wanted to do this:

1. To foster his independence and power with sleep times
2. He can climb out of his crib, although he doesn't do it very often
3. Do this now when he can't open doors (technically he can open doors, but he hasn't mastered it yet)
4. Do this now when there aren't any other changes in his life going on
5. Hopefully this will help him learn to sleep in a bed, so we won't have to take a pack-n-play on trips

This is one of those mom moments where you're not sure if you're doing the right thing or the right thing for the right reasons. I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, so I'm not ready to call it quits yet!

Last picture of the crib:



New bed:


By-the-way, he doesn't like sleeping with a pillow.

5 comments:

Shirley said...

Don't worry! The first night is always the worst (or best and then it goes downhill for those parents.:) He'll get used to it. He looks so big in his crib too! Trust me when I say it isn't easy and it sucks. It just does. But when he finally gets used to it, it is heaven! Unless he decides to start taking off all his clothes and diaper and running around the room. ;)

Kristina said...

Sounds like a good idea to me (with him not being able to open doors). But who knows if he is really ready. He did LOVE his bed. Cole hates sleeping with pillows too. On the occasion when he does come in bed with us we have to move the pillows off for him or he won't fall asleep.

Kimmie said...

yes please master this first and then share your tips with me! I was realizing you'll be up here for conference weekend. :) You can join our annual coach conference.

Selene said...

Ha ha! Good luck!

Tiffany said...

It took Jilli 3 nights to get it, but then she did and it has been great since. Also her naps were super short when we moved her out of the crib, but it ended up being she needed a later nap time, she wasn't that tired. Hang in there, you can all do it!