Tuesday, April 8, 2014

We Will Miss Florida!

So we are moving to College Station, TX on Friday.  In the meantime, we have been spending time doing some of our favorite Florida things before we leave.  Florida has grown on us and there is so much that we will miss!  Ryan and I have had lots of sentimental conversations as we reminisce.  We came to the conclusion that there is beauty and joy no matter where you live.  I am blessed to have lived in such different areas of the country and to be able to delight in the diversity.

Ryan and I came up with a list of some of the things we will miss (in no particular order).

1.  Dolphins

One of our first memories of Florida was when we just drove through the horrible downtown Tampa traffic during rush hour and then we came to the bridge that would take us over to Clearwater.  The ocean was breathtaking and we saw dolphins!  I couldn't believe that we were going to live here!  We saw dolphins often at the beach and when crossing one of the main bridges and for some reason it always made me feel so happy to know that I lived close to dolphins. 

2.  Beaches

World class beaches right here!  We've also been able to travel to different beaches around Florida, not just in our area.  Surprisingly, each one is different even though they are on the same coast and even within in a few miles from each other.  We usually went to Indian Rocks Beach because it was the closest, had free parking, and had showers.  We also liked North Beach because we could take Blue with us.  Other beaches we went to nearby: Clearwater, Indian Shores, Redington, Treasure Island.  And there are so many others we didn't get a chance to try!  Other farther away beaches: Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Siesta Key, and Lido.  I have to say that Siesta Key and Lido are my favorite even though they are in Sarasota, which is over an hours drive.  The sand at Siesta Key is made from 100% quartz, so it never gets hot.  But that beach was always super crowded.  Lido has all the same benefits, white sand and turquoise water, but without the crowds.  Plus it has a playground and raccoons that live there.

Indian Rocks Beach - Cannon, Micah, Savannah, Edin, and Noah (Korbin not pictured)

Lido Beach - with my friend Petra, her daughter Samantha, and Ace the puppy (4/4/14)






Treasure Island - our last time at the beach as a family (4/7/14)

3.   Parks

I can't say enough about the parks!  The playgrounds are great, offering a variety of equipment, and you can't beat the scenery.  Many of them have bike trails and ponds with turtles and alligators.  Our favorite parks are: Largo Central Park, Highland Park, San Philippe Park, Taylor Park, Lake Seminole Park, Eagle Lake Park, and the one downtown St. Pete with the Banyan trees.


Sunken Gardens

McGough Nature Preserve


Riding the train one last time at Largo Central Park (4/5/14)

When we first moved here my friend Rachel showed me a statue of a child wearing a CTR ring.  It made me feel peaceful inside and reminded me that home is where you make it.


4.  Animals

We are definitely animal lovers!  We were surprised to see such exotic birds when we moved here.  I couldn't even tell you all the names of them, but they are all over, especially the cranes.  I also love pelicans.  I have been able to see some semi close when we were at the beach and I just think they are so beautiful. 

In the spring it's common to see turtles crossing the roads.  People will actually stop their cars and get out to help them cross safely.  It makes me feel happy when I see that. 

Every time we go the beach we see some kind of different animal or sea creature.  We've seen dolphins, manatees, crabs, jelly fish, Portuguese man o'wars, and of course sea gulls and other birds.

Squirrels and lizards are in abundance.  And I discovered a new animal, the fox squirrel.   And yes we do see alligators from time to time.  Cannon knows that he cannot come close to any body of water, even little ponds, for fear of alligators.  It was also fun to go to see the tigers and bears at the exotic animal rescue by our church. 

I love seeing these birds!

We stopped to pet a turtle at Eagle Lake Park.  I think he wandered away from the pond.  When we were finished petting him he ran right back to the pond!


5.  Plants

I'm pretty sure Florida would be one big jungle if it weren't inhabited.   I absolutely love palm trees and it's fun for me to see so many different varieties!  Everything is lush and green here most of the year and there are many bright flowers that bloom year-round.  I also love knowing that many of my friends have naturally grown fruit trees in their yards like: mango, avocado, orange, and grapefruit.

6.  Friends

We have made the best friends here.  I'm so sad to be leaving them.  Ryan finally has guy friends that he likes and it's been neat watching Cannon grow up with his friends.  I'm happy that we have amazing technology that will allow us to easily stay current with all of our friends. 

Some of Cannon's friends: Micah, Savannah, and Everest.

Joseph, one of Cannon's best friends.  (4/7/14)


My friends had a little going away party for me.  Six out of ten people here are either pregnant or just had a baby!  From left to right: Rachel, Karlie, Jenny, Yvonne, Jodi R., Me, Jodi M., Whitney, Julie, and Desi.  I'm sure going to miss these girls!

Rachel and Me


7.  Church

When we first moved here Ryan and I told each other that we would jump right in to church and church activities.  I think that was the best way that we made friends and felt like be belonged somewhere.  Many blessing have come from that.

8.  Winters

Summers are super hot and humid.  When August comes around it's too hot to swim, go the beach or play outside.  But usually the winters here are nice and warm.  This last year was definitely not the norm and we had lots of cold days in the 40's and 50's.  Usually the winter is when we ride bikes again and play outside all day.

9.  Summer thunderstorms

Even though summers are scorching, it rains almost every day in the summer.  Not just a little rain, but BIG rains, with BIG drops, and thunder.  When it rains, it pours!  But it might only last for 15, sometimes an hour or so, but usually not for most of the day.  If you see a big puffy white cloud in the sky during a summer month, you can be sure that it will rain.  Never leave your home without an umbrella.  There have been many times I walked into the store and it was sunny and clear outside, only to have it be dark and raining when it's time for me to leave.  Or else to see that it rained for 5 minutes while I was shopping, but then got sunny again. 

10. Great pizza and Philly cheesesteaks anywhere.  There is a lot of New York influence, and we have found lots of great pizza places!  Our favorites are:  Grimaldi, Monty's, and Untouchables.

Random picture, but Cannon loves this statue of our Founding Fathers (John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson) right outside of Ryan's work building at Raymond James.  He's been very into American history lately.


No comments: