On Sunday I got bit and scratched by a stray cat with open wounds. I won't tell the whole story because it still makes me sad to think about this poor little kitty and I don't want to make you sad too. Basically, Blue found it in Ryan's parents backyard and I tried to save it (No, Blue did not attack it; it was already hurt). Ryan and I really love animals, so it was really upsetting to me to see this kitten the way it was. Animal control had to come and take it to an emergency animal hospital. They wanted to test the cat for rabies, but they said it would take at least 24 hours for the results. Rabies in cats is rare, but we live in Austin and we have a huge bat population. And just the other day they found a rabid bat about 15 minutes from where we live. I called my pedi and she said not to nurse Cannon until they got the results. I had already used up all of my frozen milk, so I had to give him formula. Of course, the regular formula makes him spit up (more than usual), so I had to get soy. For a baby who doesn't like to take a bottle, he was a champ! It was like he knew and he never gave me a problem with it. The pedi also told me to pump to keep up my milk supply. So from Sunday until Wednesday, he took a bottle. The cat was negative for rabies and I did not have to get a tetanus shot because I had one April of last year when I worked at the hospital. Well, even though I pumped regularly, my milk supply got really low. I've been taking Fenugreek and today I fed Cannon every two hours and I reduced his solid food intake to only once a day. Last night he slept 11.5 hours, so that may be part of the problem too. If he doesn't wake up tonight, then I will try and pump once or twice. Despite my interventions, I haven't noticed an increase yet. I started taking the Fenugreek on Tuesday and they said it could take 72 hours to work. Anyone else have advice?
In other news, Cannon finally rolled over on Sunday. Now he can officially roll over both ways! He can still sit up okay, but hasn't made any significant improvements. When he is sitting, he really wants to eat his feet and then he can't sit up again.
Cannon also got a new car seat! He's actually had it for a few weeks now. I was deciding between this one and another one and the one I got fits the best in my car. It's usually a pretty expensive seat but I got a good deal. I bought it from diapers.com. I actually found it cheaper on another website and they did a price match for me. So I got an extra 15% off, plus 10% off because it was my first order, free shipping, and no tax. Also, my grandma gave me $100 to use for Cannon, so it came out to be about $130 which is the price of a normal car seat. He likes it so much more than his infant seat, which is why I decided to make the purchase now. The infant seat only goes up to 22 pounds, which he is nearing, and this new seat can be rear-facing up to 35 pounds. I plan on keeping him rear-facing well past his first birthday because it is so much safer. I am a huge fanatic when it comes to car seat safety and I could go on and on. But I won't! But I love to answer questions if you have any! One day I will take the class to become a certified car seat technician, but I'll have to do that when C is older. I was signed up to take the class last year, but they changed the date at the last minute and it ended up being during my first week of work. Boo. Here's little champ in his new seat.

I just had to post these other pictures too. Cannon always spits up all over me. Ryan like to play "rough" with Cannon sometimes and I always warn him that he is going to spit up on him. Well today was the day I had been waiting for! It went all over Ryan's face and glasses! Thanks son!

6 comments:
He is so cute in his carseat! I love those shoes too! Ryan had the same problem with trying to eat his feet when sitting. Then it was trying to get toys while he was sitting. Now he can go from sitting to tummy to sitting, so I don't have to help him out quite as much. So nice! Isn't it so cute when they start really rolling over? It certainly makes diaper changes hard though!
I hope you're feeling better with your scratches. As far as milk supply goes, how do you know it's low? Are you measuring it from how much you pump? I never tried Fenugreek due to not wanting to smell like Maple Syrup, but I would eat oatmeal in the morning and up my water intake a ton. I think the nursing more often will help a lot too. Good luck!
Oh, and if you are measuring from how much you pump, it can not be accurate. I don't pump near as much as Ryan can get out of me. Hope this helps!
I couldn't stop laughing at the picture of Ryan with Cannon's spit up all over him!!
His pedi told me that he will nurse about 1 oz more than I can pump. I used to pump when he was younger and I could get at least 8oz in the morning and 5-6 oz during the day. This time I got 5-6 oz in the morning and only 1-2 oz each other time. I know he drinks more than that! I haven't heard of the oatmeal, but I'll try it. Guess I need to make a trip to the grocery store.
Is that the Britax? We will need to get Connor one here soon. He is nearing the threshold for the weight limit too...this is a whole new world to me since Hannah was 22 pounds at like 2!
Yes, we did get the Britax. It's the Boulevard, which is the same as the Marathon, but it has the side impact around the head. Cannon loves it! The other one I liked was the Recaro Signo, but it did not fit well in my car. Which ever seat you choose, definitely get one that goes to at least 50 pounds while harnessed, instead of 40, because it looks like Connor is going to be a tall kid! Actually I tell that to everyone because a lot of kids outgrown their seats early and it's safer to keep them harnessed as long as possible. I'm hoping to keep Cannon in this seat until he is 5 and then we will get a booster seat.
Post a Comment