Friday, February 5, 2010

Intellectual Growth Spurt

I love how babies all of a sudden start doing lots of new things all at once. This week has been so much fun as I have seen Cannon learns new things.

Object permanence has been completely mastered. I would say that this has been an emerging skill for the past two months, but this week he has really relished in his new discovery. He loves the lift-the-flap books! He knows where they are on each page and he can open all of them.

He now says, "dada," but not discriminately. Before, his favorite sound was ba-ba-ba-ba, with such various as: ba-ba and bob. He also uses other consonants like y, g, k, and h (but he's been using those for awhile). I love to listen to him talk because it sounds like he is either yelling at you or telling you a crazy story! I think he tries to say "beep." He thinks it's funny when I say "beep-beep" and he tries to copy me. Also, I swear he started making "l" sounds. I know that's a sound kids learn late, but I really did hear him. I think he was just playing around with sounds and he discovered he could make this sound with his tongue sticking out. So he's not even using correct positioning with his tongue, and he will probably forget about it anyway, but it was still funny to watch and listen to him.

Now he will transfer a toy from one hand to the other so he can pick up a second toy. He may have been doing this for awhile, but I just paid attention to it the other day. He also drops things off his highchair on purpose and watches them fall. I laughed at him a couple of weeks ago because he was staring at his hands as he would open them to release a toy. He kept doing it over and over again. And he bangs two toys together when he's playing.

The pincer grasp has made its way into things now, which is very useful to pick up things like hair, small pieces of rope, leaves, and bits of paper left on the floor. I guess it also comes in handy for picking up Cheerios, but Cannon prefers to use the raking grab to pick up food because he can get more in his mouth that way.

Cannon has started to realize that music is fun! He moves his head from side-to-side when he plays the music on his exersaucer. He started to do this about a month ago, but now he does it almost every time. And I've seen him do this a couple of times in the car when I had the music on. I need to get a video of it because it's really cute!

And he FINALLY started to move forward on his belly! We have been working with him so much and he finally got it today!

It's so much fun to watch him learn and discover his little world. Oh, I finally found a food that he doesn't like, juice! We let him try apple juice and he immediately spit it out (really he just let it drool out). We usually don't keep juice at home, so I bought some pear juice for Cannon. I thought he might like it better if I diluted it with water. No. Oh well, it's not a bother for me. I would rather just give him water anyway.


And the cutest thing of all, the curls are coming! I am so excited that his hair is starting to go curly!

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Cole was mesmerized by both videos. He must miss his cousin, :-( and Blue too. He wouldn't stop signing "dog".

Shirley said...

Ryan was totally talking to Cannon on the video! haha. Way cute!

Tiffany said...

Emmalee and Ada both stopped playing to watch the videos. I love those times when the world suddenly makes sense to babies. It is so fun to see their eyes light up. Blue is funny, "You are on the floor, why are you not playing with me?"